Sunday 29 November 2015

An alternative Christmas tree - how to make a Christmas 'twig'


When it comes to Christmas decorations, I definitely fall into the 'More is More' camp, but I can totally see why people would go down the 'tasteful and discreet' route too. For the last couple of years my mum hasn't had a traditional Christmas tree - in theory this is down to what she says is doing a more 'low key' Christmas, but in practice she bought a new sofa a couple of years back which means there isn't actually any space for a tree even if she wanted one. Last year she had what we fondly referred to as "the twig" and I happened to be over for a cuppa a this morning when she decided to try "the twig" out for a second year. I couldn't resist snapping a few pics because it's just SO gorgeous. This is such a pretty, simple alternative to a traditional Christmas tree, especially if you're short on space, because you can sit it on a table or shelf instead of using floor space for it. 


Tempted to try a twig of your own this Christmas? It couldn't be easier:

  • Go for a lovely winter stroll. Keep an eye out for discarded twigs.
  • Bring a twig home and spray paint it white in the garden (not strictly necessary but this is what my mum did and it totally works)
  • Pop white twig into the right kind of pot or bottle (essentially something with a narrow neck so it stays pretty upright).
  • Pause to put on some Christmas music at this stage to really get into the festive spirit - current faves are Christmas Wrapping, Driving Home for Christmas and Stop the Cavalry.
  • First you need some lights. White bulbs keep it classic, and small and delicate are good. We used ones that are on a very thin wire, which is great because they can be 'moulded' into whatever shape you need and the little LED bulbs looks like they're just floating in mid air. So far, so pretty. 
  • Then you can add some ornaments - rules of thumb we stuck to: small and dainty are best (plus really heavy ones can bend the twig), stick to pastels and non-traditional Xmas colours like pink and turquoise, anything that's bird-shaped particularly works, seeing as it's a twig and all, and use the ones that mean the most (which for us include; the only two remaining ornaments my mum has from when she was little and a couple of dubious-looking felt creations my sister or I made at school). This is really were 'Less is More' comes in, and I had to stop myself from hanging something from every branch available - just a smattering of the most delicate and pretty ornaments is all you need. 
  • Stand back and admire. Join in with whichever Christmas tune happens to be playing, if the moment takes you. 





Home Etc

18 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I really want to give it a go. :)

    I quite like simplistic Christmas decorations so this is right up my street.

    I'm going twig huntin' tomorrow.

    Jenna at Tinyfootsteps xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna - the twig hunting is a particularly fun part of the process! x

      Delete
  2. Love it! Especially with the twinkly fairy lights. #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, I made a similar thing when I was a teen- my parent thought I was mad! Obviously just ahead of my time ;-) x #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Katy - you must've been a far more stylish teenager than me! xx

      Delete
  4. I love this. It's more my kind of tree than an evergreen. I have a post coming up with something similar but I suspended a single stick from the ceiling with command hooks and hung the decorations from it. It's lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel - it's a nice alternative isn't it? I can't quite bring myself not to have an evergreen just yet, but I must say each year my decorations get simpler and more rustic. Will be keeping an eye out for your post! x

      Delete
  5. I am so in love with this!! I do want something similar myself - this is perfect and looks beautiful. Ahhh great job and what a lovely feature. Thanks for linking up! Much appreciated :) Jess xx

    #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! Was honestly such a quick and easy thing to do, I had to share! xx

      Delete
  6. Oh! I LOVE things like this. The shape is just amazing and something nothing other than nature could create. Beautiful and so twinkly xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Esther, I love how it really shows off the lovely shape of the twig, what could be prettier? xx

      Delete
  7. LOVE this chick!! It's so pretty!! We have a little stick tree with battery operated light from Hobbycraft that I put the boy's homemade decorations on — it's so similar but not nearly as nice. Where did you source the lights on this wire? I have a couple of projects that they'd be great for!! Thanks so much linking up with us :) #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caro! These lights are great - I bought some at the same time as my mum did, and they are SO useful, had them wrapped around our living room mirror last Xmas, you can just use them anywhere and they're really delicate and pretty. I can't find the exact same make, but these seem pretty similar: http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/lights4fun/product/warm-white-led-micro-outdoor-fairy-lights xx

      Delete
  8. Oh Poppy this is just gorgeous! Well done to your mum and thank you so much for sharing it. The lights are amazing. I must look out for ones like that.
    #homeetc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fionnula! I found some pretty similar lights on notonthehighstreet (link in the comment above), if you're on the look out. My mum will be so chuffed to hear that her twig has gone down so well! xx

      Delete
  9. Such a good idea! Now to find small bulbs - I am so copying this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your twig tree! My children and I are planning to make something similar this weekend #homeetc

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this, we had a twig tree in our Ktchen this Xmas, which I lazily bought, but my son has a made one in his room xxx

    ReplyDelete