Sunday 6 July 2014

A new craft project for a non-crafty girl




Just look at these lovely, perfectly plump balls of wool - they are so nice to look at that I can't bring myself to actually open one and start doing something with it.

Lately I've been looking for a project. Alex has many, many hobbies - so many he can't keep up with them all really. He's often found spending an evening holed up in our garden shed recording music, or practising drums, or at the skate park with friends (for clarity, he's not a teenager, he's approaching 30). Me though, not so much - I think in honesty the old me used to be a bit of a workaholic and in some ways my job became the thing that took up most of my headspace whether I was in the office or not.

Anyway, now that I have a better work/ life balance I quite fancy a little project - something to make that would actually be useful. I really am not a 'craft-y' person, and I don't have a great track record of this kind of making things, or starting things and seeing them through. Not a great start, admittedly (!) but I've decided that a crochet blanket would be a fairly low risk first project, based on a few factors:
  • Wool shopping is fun - have you seen all the colours?!
  • A lovely granny square crochet blanket is multi-use, and something we can use for years and years
  • I'm thinking (hoping) it will be fairly straightforward - I can work on it square by square. How hard can it be to crochet one square?


I'm sharing this on the blog as an incentive to keep up with it, but given that I've had six plump, untouched balls of wool sat on a shelf next to the bed for several weeks, It may take a while. In the meantime, I've started a pinterest board of granny square blanket inspiration, (including this lovely fellow enjoying his crochet blanket) which is keeping me far too busy to actually do any crocheting. Yet. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment