Monday 31 August 2015

Back to school


I'm not sure you ever really lose that 'back to school' September feeling at this time of year. Tomorrow is my first day back at work for over two weeks and it feels like a lifetime since I was last in the office. Just like lots of teachers and school kids this week, I've been getting myself prepared for the first day back tomorrow. When I was eleven years old, this ritual used to involve fastidiously packing and repacking my pencil case, laying out my uniform at the bottom of the bed, and setting my alarm (and by that I mean an ACTUAL alarm clock, not just a phone setting) a good 30 minutes earlier than was actually necessary. This time round, getting prepared basically means making sure various electronic items are charged and ready to go, but the essence of the ritual is the same (and I've planned out my outfit in my head at least - don't think I'll ever stop doing that).

While last week I was dreading going back to work and our holiday coming to an end, I have to secretly admit that (whispers) I'm actually looking forward to it a bit. It's been wonderful to be off, but it's been long enough. We've been lovely and lazy, but I need a bit of drive now. I have space in my mind to fit in some other stuff. I can't wait to get on the train and read my emails and get back into everything, safe in the knowledge that Arlo is happily playing with all his little mates at the childminders. I know it will make me happier, and will make our next day together even better for having missed each other a bit. That's the thing - there's nothing like a bit of time apart to make the time together feel really special.

So bring on the working week please - after all, the sooner we get to it, the sooner the weekend will come.




 photo HappyDays New Badge Small_zpskpfebjmi.jpg

5 comments:

  1. Every once in a while I'll have a day where I can't wait to get to work. It usually passes not long after I get there, but a break can be nice sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I feel like I sometimes take my days with my little girl for granted because we spend every waking minute together. However, she is starting nursery later this month and I'm looking forward to having a bit of a breather, having that bit of time apart, so we can make the most of it when we are together. :)

    Hope your return to work goes well after your break. :)

    #HappyDaysLinky

    Jenna at Tinyfootsteps xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a teacher and I'm nervous for 'back to school'. I'm going to a new school. I've met the staff but not the kids yet...will see what Monday brings. Such a strange feeling - as a kid you think you won't feel like this again but being an adult for some of us it remains. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that back to school feeling and Monday morning feeling is in-built! I have not gone back to work or anything and yet I still dread it! Where is that bridge? I recognise it! Thanks for joining in #HappyDaysLinky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! It's the Severn Bridge, I snapped a quick pic on our way over to Wales for our holiday. So beautiful! xx

      Delete